What is Microsuction?
It’s the safest way to clear ears. The Nurse uses a Surgical Headset and has a highly magnified view of the ear. Using a gentle low vacuum pump with a cannula attached to it, the wax/debris can be precisely suctioned out of the ear canal. No water is used! It’s not just wax we remove, but anything that enters the ear, such as; cotton buds, and domes off hearing aids. Sometimes there is an underlying infection causing weepy discharging ears. A build up of old wax and skin can cause extreme itching. We may suggest referrals to an Audiologist. If you have a discharging ear along with medicated ear drops from your Doctor, having suction can clear the infection faster.
Micro-suction is procedure for everyone but is especially important if:
- You’re a child (We see children from 2 years and over).
- You have had Ear Surgery
- You wear Hearing Aids, Ear Wax removal is required every 3 to 12 months to optimise your hearing aids
- You have a hole in your ear drum
- You are prone to dizziness
- You have narrow or kinked ear canals
- You have surfers ear or swimmers ear
- If you have a discharging, infected ear along with ear drops from a Doctor, having suction will clear the infection faster
Why see an ear wax removal nurse?
Do you have, or use any of the following ?
- Blocked ears
- Itchy ears/ eczema
- Reduced hearing
- Wear hearing aids or ear plugs
- Painful ear radiating pain to the jaw
- Clicking sound when you swallow
- Something stuck in the ear
- Weepy ear (an outer ear infection)
- Pain while flying on aeroplanes
- Feeling off balance – impacted wax can be the cause of this